Monday, January 12, 2015

Why take your kids to Knicks, Nets and Jets games if they're giving you nothing?

The Knicks are having a terrible season.  But be honest, with their talent level, who actually thought they were going to have a good season?  But this isn't going to be one of my regular diatribes about how the Knicks had two NBA All Stars, David Lee, Zach Randolph, a 6th man of the year, Jamal Crawford and quality bench players or starters like Wilson Chandler and Danilo Gallinari and their general manager Donnie Walsh got rid of all of those guys for basically nothing, no not this time, we will trash Walsh another time for sure.

This past weekend, I took my son Zachary to the Knicks game.  At the start of the game, realizing how empty the building was, I decided to see how far I could work my way down toward the floor. After all, as a lifetime season ticket owner and loyal fan, I imagined, I deserved some time close to the players I was so loyal to, if not for myself, for my son--the next generation.

I managed to get almost to the court where an usher, not Usher the rapper, but one of the Garden's finest security personnel asked me for a ticket and said I couldn't be there.  My response to him was "really there's no one here, the team is in last place with probably the worst record they've ever had in their history and you're saying I can't sit here?"

I recall going to an event years ago as a seat holder.  It seems to me the Knicks, Nets and Jets should be doing more to attract fans and if that means letting people move to better seats, giving away seats  or giving away free food, do it.  You want to make your stadium look crowded and using those methods can accomplish this. After all even The Golden Globes has seat fillers.

But my son was more interested in playing with his matchbox cars than watching the game and I should have played with the cars also.  The Knicks lost the game by 30.  Apparently children are good judges of entertainment levels of events and Zacky gave the Knicks two thumbs down.

If your stadium is completely empty and your losing money every game, doesn't it make sense to let people move to better seats, give away seats  or give away free food?  If you give free tickets those people will still buy food and souvenirs and the stadium would make money on that.  If I can go to a game and move down, wouldn't that be more of an incentive to go to another game?  If the stadium is  giving you free food, wouldn't you be more apt to buy tickets, especially when the food can cost $20  or more?  Just a little food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment